Thursday, November 22, 2018

WomenNC Update - Sara


Over the past two months, I have gotten into the full swing of being a WomenNC scholar. Being a scholar has yielded many new experiences for me. For example, beginning the research process has given me a lot of insight into what career researchers do on a regular basis. Though I’ve done literature reviews and assisted with research before, this is the first time I’ve done research independently. Obtaining an exemption from the IRB (Institutional Review Board) has been a lengthy process: writing up consent forms, survey and interview questions, and corresponding with IRB representatives at my school. Fortunately, with the help of my mentor, I’ve obtained IRB approval and have begun to distribute my survey and conduct in-person interviews!

Another aspect of the program I’ve really enjoyed so far have been the opportunities to interact with my fellow WomenNC Scholars, as well as other members of the WomenNC community. Learning about the other scholars’ topics and the work they are doing is very interesting, and inspires me to push forward with my own research. I’ve also been able to learn from other WomenNC affiliates and the experiences they have had while promoting the advancement of gender equality.

I’m so excited to continue with my research and share what I learn with everyone!

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you are learning about IRBs and that you were able to get an exemption. This has been problematic for some of your colleagues at different institutions. The collaboration with peers is some of what makes this program of value to many alumni.--Maria Murray Riemann

    ReplyDelete