Monday, October 1, 2018

Amelia Steinbach's Hopes and Goals for the CSW Program 2018-2019

Hello, everyone!


My name is Amelia Steinbach and I am so excited and grateful to be a part of Women NC’s CSW Leadership Training Program. I am a sophomore at Duke University, studying Political Science and Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies. In addition to now studying in Durham, NC, I have lived in the city since I was two years old. Consequently, I have several strong connections to the Durham community, and am thrilled at the prospect of conducting and analyzing research this academic year in an effort to influence policy changes that will make Durham a more gender equal society.


For my research project, I am working with Felicia Browne from the Global Gender Center at RTI. After meeting with her on September 30th, I have decided on a more narrow research topic. I will be studying the impact of intimate partner violence (IPV) on the ability of women living in Durham to access medical care for the prevention and/or treatment of HIV/AIDS. My limited experience studying HIV/AIDS has led me to believe that the most privileged and educated segments of American society often are not aware of the extent to which this sexually transmitted infection (STI) continues to permeate historically disadvantaged groups in the United States, particularly black women. As one of the most diverse and progressive cities in North Carolina, but also one with extreme racial segregation and increasing gentrification,  Durham serves as a fascinating case study for the analysis of the intersection of IPV and HIV/AIDS care. Additionally, the fact that Durham is a city with governmental and community leaders committed to building a more egalitarian city is beneficial to this research, as my policy recommendations will be taken seriously by those with the power to advance legislative change.


My discussions with Felicia, Beth, and Dr. Reimann have helped me to develop the following next steps in drafting my research outline:

  1. Receive contact information for the Durham Mayor’s Council for Women from Beth and reach out for their approval of my research topic.
  2. Receive contact information for the outreach coordinator of the Durham Crisis Response Center from Beth and plan a meeting with representatives from the Center to discuss the intersectionality between IPV and HIV/AIDS care.
  3. Review documents and studies sent by Felicia which specify HIV rates in North Carolina, specifically.
  4. Reach out to Amelia Thompson, Rachel Dizney, and Julia Giner of the Duke Pediatric Infectious Disease Division. Set up meetings with each of them to present my research topic and discuss who they know in the community that focuses specifically on issues of IPV and HIV/AIDS.
  5. Speak to Dr. Megan Huchko (a professor of mine this semester whose work at Duke focuses on global reproductive health) to discuss more resources in the community relating to my topic.
  6. Review current legislation in Durham and North Carolina relating to IPV and HIV/AIDS, both as separate and congruent issues.
  7. Evaluate racial and socioeconomic segregation in the city of Durham.

No comments:

Post a Comment