Monday, October 1, 2018

Hopes and Goals for CSW Program Experience


Hello, my name is Africa Coardes. I am a junior social work major at Bennett College for Women in Greensboro, NC. I am excited about being a WomenNC CSW Scholar because I am looking forward to implementing research under Dr. Valerie Johnson concerning women rights. I have been looking for ways to get involved in research during my matriculation at Bennett and I am ecstatic about finally having the opportunity to do so. My group will provide research on perinatal care for incarcerated women in both Guilford and Forsyth County. By the end of the program I hope to be transformed from a scholar into an independent researcher. I will use this opportunity as a stepping stone as I hope to participate in more research in the future. As an aspiring social worker I am also looking forward to acquiring more leadership training and advocacy skills.


L (Africa Coardes) R (Patience Bowora, classmate/friend)



2 comments:

  1. Such an important and often ignored topic. I appreciate your willingness to examine the serious challenges preventing healthy living within this vulnerable population.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that all of you are undertaking this project together. My sense is that you will indeed become an independent researcher with the skills you gain under the direction of Dr. Johnson. In this program you will also learn to be an advocate. I so look forward to seeing your work.

    Maria Murray Riemann

    ReplyDelete