Monday, January 14, 2013

Close to Home


Hello! I have not had the opportunity to introduce myself yet, but my name is Molly Williams and I am one of WomenNC’s Commission on the Status of Women Fellows this year. I’m a sophomore at UNC studying Public Policy and Sociology- go Tarheels! For the fellowship I have chosen the topic of domestic violence. I am well into my research and learning all about domestic violence, most commonly men’s violence against women, on the international, national, and local levels.  I have enjoyed the research, though it is not an easy topic to learn about. I also have the pleasure of working with and learning about the MOVE: Mothers Overcoming Violence through Empowerment and Education Program.

To be honest, I am not entirely sure why I chose domestic violence as my topic. I guess I think it is a problem that goes largely overlooked, especially in the United States, and I wanted to use the fellowship to highlight this grave problem. While researching a topic, it is easy to feel removed or distant from what I am studying. At times, domestic violence becomes words on the computer screen or in a textbook.

Over the past week, I have been reminded of the realities of domestic violence and why I selected this topic. Our campus was deeply saddened to learn about a fellow Tarheel who would not return from winter break because she was being hospitalized after a shooting in her home in Greensboro.  It is times likes this I am reminded that domestic violence is not just a topic, but something that is quite literally too close to home for so many. You can read more about this here: http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2013/01/unc-student-shot-at-home-in-greensboro.

I look forward to blogging more as this fellowship and my research progresses.
Until next time!
Love, Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment