Sunday, February 1, 2015

Representation - Alison Blog #7

As we work on our presentations and celebrate our completed papers, I continue to think about the amazing opportunities of this fellowship and the responsibility that comes with these. In writing about a more vulnerable population of women, I am concerned about accurately representing the struggles working women face around the globe. I want to stay aware of the ways in which I may misconstrue facts and be careful to not exploit the words of others to make my own point. As a college student, I don't want to abuse any position of power to elevate my voice above others; rather I want to make sure others' independent voices are amplified above my own.

This tension between respect for the experiences of women that I write about and inserting my own opinions into my work is lying heavy on my head and heart throughout the creation of both paper and presentation. I hope to discuss this further with the WomenNC community and perhaps gain some important insights! I am excited for our upcoming tv debut (congrats to Liv and Justine for theirs!) and will strive to honor the experiences of others as I grow as an advocate for the human rights of women and girls. Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Alison,
    I'm glad you are thinking about your responsibility in representing the struggles of others. I suspect that many people never consider that. Yes, it would be a good discussion at one of our workshops. Thanks for bringing it up!

    ReplyDelete