Saturday, March 18, 2017

Last Day


We had the honor of meeting Soon- Young Yoon. She’s a leading figure of the Cities for CEDAW. She is the absolute sweetest person. She made time to have lunch with us. We went to a wonderful Italian restaurant called Osteria Laguana. The restaurant served authentic Italian food. We shared an interesting conversation about the CSW. She talked to us about how she had been planning the meeing with the UN Secretary General. This was the first time ever that the UN Secretary held a meeting with the women of CSW. I thought it was interesting that she told us the questions were pre-planned. I thought it was strategic to have a wide range of questions to the Secretary General. He responded to questions about youth, healthcare, LGBTI individuals, and other people. Soon Young had worked so hard that she told us that she almost missed getting into the conference room 4. The meeting itself was amazing. Hearing the concerns of many women from all over the world was intuitive. My favorite question was from a young girl. She asked about how young women could be included in the conversations at the UN. Everyone clapped. I asked Soon Young a similar question and she recommended to attend the Youth forum. She asked me if I wanted to volunteer for the next CSW. I would love to that if possible. Even if I’m unable to volunteer for an entire week, I would LOVE to come back at some point. Keeping up with the progress of women is important. Overall, I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. It was incredible. I could not have asked for a better week. I really appreciated meeting female leaders around the world that encouraged us to continue fighting for women's rights.

1 comment:

  1. Cristy--glad you had a great week--worth all the work I hope!!

    ReplyDelete