Sunday, September 30, 2018

Hopes and Goals for CSW Program Experience-My Version of a Superhero

“What do you want to be when you grow up?” is a question that is frequently heard throughout childhood. When I was little I used to say I wanted to be a superhero. Now that I’ve grown up a little bit, I say I want to be business woman. My personal definition of true heroine. A woman that controls a company. A woman that influences others with their every decision. A woman that molds ideas into products, services, innovation and progress. If that’s not a modern superhero, I don’t know what is. But I’ve always wondered, where are these women? Why don’t I see them in the news, the way I see Bill Gates or Steve Jobs?

As a woman majoring in business, I’ve seen girls in my classes. Yet, women remain the startling minority in high-level positions. What is the disconnect between graduation and a place at the head of a corporate C-suite? It is simple really. Women remain underpaid, underestimated and underappreciated in the workforce. We remain stagnant. Why is this? It is not from lack of effort or acumen, so what is it? My curiosity has led me to choose this particular topic as the center of my research. I hope to better examine the barriers holding women back from true equity within the business world.

I am looking forward to independently conducting research. I have conducted research that was significant to my intended field in the past, but I’ve never had the opportunity to choose my own topic and proceed with my own individual intrigues in my own way. I want to become more acquainted with research practices and explore which research methods work best for me. Also, the research topic I have chosen, directly impacts me. As a woman aspiring to be a high-level executive in business, this is an introspective look at what challenges I will most likely face my future.

I am excited to learn more about the issues facing the Durham area, which as a Raleigh native, was my backyard growing up. I am hopeful that the work I am able to provide will be helpful in educating populations and influencing understanding and policy in the future. Outside of directly contributing to my own community, I am beyond thrilled to have the opportunity to travel to the United Nations. I look forward to sharing my findings with strong women and men of different backgrounds. Sharing diverse perspectives and engaging conversations. Proposing solutions and reflecting on past experiences. I hope to build lasting networks and improve my interpersonal communication, as well as my knowledge of ongoing issues affecting women in the world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment