Sunday, November 25, 2018

Reflection on my journey as WomenNC scholar 2018

Ring, ring, ring: Bennett Belle Patience.
About 4 months ago I embarked on the journey as WomenNC scholar.  This is a lifetime experience and it has taken my social work education to another level.  There is no doubt that the WomenNC mentors are sowing seeds of greatness in us, the scholars.  Looking back from when I started this journey, I have established productive relationships, my confidence was boosted,  time management skills are even better.  The introductions and brief summaries that we made to the Board Members made me realize who I am and what is my mission in WomenNC. They say that iron sharpens iron, there is no other choice from our mentors and volunteers at womenNC. Success is not an option.  I am a WomenNC scholar with a mission.

WomenNC gave me a lifetime opportunity to attend a grand Luncheon at the Governor's Executive Mansion to celebrate what I call 10/10, The 10th Anniversary of WomenNC and Presentation of the ten 2018 scholars to the Board members present.  Bennett College for Women scholars, myself included are researching on Perinatal Care of Incarcerated Women.  Each scholar was assigned a subtopic to research on and I am researching what prenatal care medical examinations are available.  We want to know the screening and treatment for high-risk pregnancies and HIV testing.  we are interested to find out exercise and safety that are in place for the pregnant inmates.  What delivery arrangements are there and is the jail staff trained for complications or an emergency?  It was disturbing to find out women were shackled during delivery until  The Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP)  stepped in.  September 2008 BOP ended shackling pregnant inmates as a matter of routine in all federal correctional facilities.  What a relief to know that such a dangerous and inhuman act of shackling a woman in labor was abolished at least in all federal correctional facilities. 
Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks.  I am thankful for WomenNC who took me out of my comfort zone and exposed me to a whole new world of Advocacy.  I visited polling stations and transported some Bennett belles to VOTE.  I am thankful for my TeamBennett which includes Dr. VJ, Africa, Aravia, Zybrea, and Alexis.  I am thankful for all the wonderful ladies and gentlemen who work tirelessly for Women in NC.  I am thankful for it all.



2 comments:

  1. Your interest and enthusiasm for this work is heartening. Thank you. It is an honor to work with you. We so look forward to seeing your research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comment above is from Maria Murray Riemann

      Delete