Monday, January 19, 2015

Final lap? - Alison Blog #6

Thanks to all for a fantastic workshop last night! I learned a lot from our tv and presentation tips, thanks to Scott, Stephanie and Al. I think yesterday (despite being late to the meeting--sorry everyone!) was the first day the magnitude of all we're accomplishing and how soon we will be done hit me! As I finish my paper this week and think about preparing a talk that will connect with people, I'm struck by the huge network of support WomenNC provides and the amazing learning opportunities available. Without this fellowship, I would have NO media training, little knowledge of networking or creating dynamic presentations, and most importantly I wouldn't be part of the WomenNC community. I definitely want to thank my mentor, Maureen, for being so available and helpful in my paper writing. Also thanks to Lois for always reading and commenting on our blogs :) It is nice to know someone out there is keeping tabs on us :)

I know we still have months of work ahead, but it many ways the coming weeks feel like a final lap for our research time with WomenNC. I'm certainly not yet ready to share my work with the world, but with the tools provided by the fellowship, I'm sure I'll get to that point soon! It has been scary embarking on a self-guided, in-depth research experience, but has also been one of the most rewarding opportunities of my college career. Today, I want to end with a Martin Luther King Jr. quote and link to a speech for us to reflect on:

If we do not act we shall surely be dragged down the long dark and shameful corridors of time reserved for those who possess power without compassion, might without morality, and strength without sight. - MLK 

1 comment: