Friday, December 21, 2012

Winning the Victory over Myself


Without a doubt, this is my favorite part of the movie The Iron Lady. This scene is always a great wake up call for me when I realize that I am not reaching my full potential. The thought that a collection of simple actions and thoughts build my character and my destiny scares me because it is so easy to fall apart from what you wanted to achieve. So I like to watch this movie when I feel like I need to pull myself up and get back on the right track.

With the amount of freedom I have with the research project, I need to stay away from becoming lazy or distracted by other tasks. What we think, we become. So I need to push myself and win a battle with myself. And this is my (public) promise to myself and others that I will win the victory over myself because I think I can do better.

Brian Min

2 comments:

  1. Amen! We all can be better, too, Brian. I think our group is about people working together so we can all make *ourselves* better, as much as anyone else in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the quote from The Iron Lady “What we think, we become” is amazing because it can also be used to inspire many people in many different contexts. If the world as a whole views the women as ‘weaker’ or ‘less’ than men, then the world as a whole will treat women as if we are those traits. If women themselves display traits of strength and power, then the world will be forced into acting accordingly. Unfortunately, many cultures all around the world, including ours, seem to have women convinced that we cannot ever truly measure up to the men around us. This trend of thinking must change if we are ever to receive the rights we deserve and extend protection of women to places where the change is slower to come.

    ReplyDelete