Monday, October 1, 2018

A Unique Opportunity


A Unique Opportunity

Kaitlin Galindo
CSW Scholar 2018-19

Moving back into the triangle after time away is hard. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m all for some sweet tea and North Carolina barbecue, but after a year away, participating in human rights advocacy and nongovernmental organization’s efforts to end structural inequality, school and my previous activities felt somewhat unfulfilling. I struggled to integrate my passion for equitable change and human rights into my daily activities, and it was this conflict that the encouraged me to apply for WomenNC’s Juanita M. Bryant UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) Leadership Training Program
The unique opportunity to design and carry out independent women’s human rights research with mentorship and leadership training allows me to explore my specific interests and desire to create positive change in my local community, while growing into a more effective change-agent through guidance and mentorship. I have chosen to study the status of immigrant women in the triangle, because I have witnessed the consequences of the global migrant crisis first hand while working at a UNHCR camp in Greece. More recently my work with immigrant communities in the Triangle has led me to believe the challenges immigrant women face do not end with immigration.
I hope to gain independence, research skills, and confidence in public speaking through the program, as well as develop relationships with professionals, community members, activist, and government officials in the Triangle. I have never been to the United Nations and am looking forward to visiting and presenting my research. I hope to be an excellent representative of WomenNC and my school, UNC Chapel Hill, throughout this experience. I am also very excited to grow with my cohort of scholars, share this experience with them, and have engaging discussions centering around women’s issues in my community. It should an exciting year!

No comments:

Post a Comment