Monday, April 6, 2015

Action - Alison

Hello all!

I am writing this blog post from a hotel lobby in Washington DC. As others have written, this semester has been quite the whirlwind. To be honest, since the end of CSW I have barely had time to process except for my time spent writing my reflection paper. In the past month I have attended the amazing CSW meeting, attended the J-Street conference in DC, and am now visiting DC for a class--while here we will meet with lawmakers and government officials to discuss US relations with the Palestinian people.

I see all of this work as intimately connected. I believe a concern for women's rights is related to a concern with any oppressed people around the world, primarily because human rights are indivisible. All human rights are equally important and we cannot neatly separate any human rights as "more important" than others. Furthermore, women's issues are political issues everywhere in the world, especially in situations where many rights are trampled on an every day basis.

Dina's blog inspired me to think: "what actions am I taking now?" In these various travels I see my attempt to continue to learn as an activist passionate about a variety of issues. I hope that the more I understand I world's complexity, the greater change my actions can promote and I am so thankful for the many opportunities I have had to recently grow. I can't wait to share these with our audience on Thursday and will continue to push for a better world for all.

1 comment:

  1. Alison, I thought of you and what I had learned from you this weekend as I checked out of my hotel room at a Woman's Club Conference in Asheville. I took a few minutes to write a thank you note, and left a tip for Lenora, the housekeeper! Thank you for teaching us!

    ReplyDelete