Monday, April 27, 2015

Last Blog Post_Dina Shehata

I can't believe this is my final blog of the fellowship! Time really has gone by so incredibly quickly. 

I want to start off by thanking all of the members of WomenNC including the board members, supporters, and fellow fellows. You all made this experience so unforgettable for me! I can now say I've presented at the United Nations! If you had told me as a high school student or even as a first year in college that I would one day be presenting about women's rights at the UN, I would have looked at you like you were crazy. Why? Because at that point, I had my heart set on going to medical school to become a pediatrician. I am so glad that I realized my passion for international studies early on before graduating from Carolina and discovering new passions during my first year of graduate school which led me to this fellowship! 

I've learned that it's never too late to immerse yourself in new passions because ultimately, it's what will bring your life meaning and fulfillment that matters!

I've learned so much throughout the fellowship and have met so many incredible people who I know I will stay in touch with in the long run. I've become a much stronger presenter. I've become more confident with networking. I received valuable research experience. I participated in CSW! Best of all, I found a family within the women's rights community! 

As I work to prepare for my final reflections presentation and finish up my last two (very long) papers of my first year of graduate school, I keep thinking back to all of the wonderful experiences I have had and how appreciative I truly am. 

I look forward to finishing up my last year of graduate school during the 2015/2016 school year and working hard to make my goal of working at the United Nations a reality. No matter where I end up, I will continue working towards equality for women. I will continue standing up against the injustices committed against women every day. I will work towards achieving a better life for all women no matter what they look like or where they come from. 

In honor of my upcoming trip to Egypt which I'm very excited about, I leave you with a picture taken on one of my previous trips! 

Thank you WomenNC. Thank you all.





2 comments:

  1. Dina it was so good to meet and work with you---you are a thoughtful, fabulous woman--safe travels and keep in touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your comments. Welcome to our activist family! By the way, it was wonderful to meet your "genetic" family too during this fellowship. Please thank them for being so supportive! Great travels. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete