Monday, April 27, 2015

final blog post (!!!)



It’s hard to believe that our time as WomenNC fellows is drawing to a close.

I want to start this post by thanking the WomenNC board for their tireless support and all the hard work they've put into making this experience so wonderful for us. 

I am so grateful for this program and all that I’ve learned from being a part of it. I feel so much more confident in my public speaking skills, especially (thanks, Stephanie and Al!), and also more certain in my conviction that I want a career in mental health/LGBTQ advocacy. 

Today I’m presenting my final WomenNC talk to the staff of the National Center for Child Traumatic Stress (i.e., the lovely people who work on the same floor as I do at Duke). NCCTS is currently ramping up its programming for queer youth, so I’ll be talking about the trauma faced by trans* kids and how mental health professionals can better support them. It’ll be a nice sort of capstone to this experience for me – to combine my extracurricular pursuits and passions with the work I do full-time.

I hope to continue to be involved with WomenNC and to stay in touch with the other fellows – I’ve so enjoyed getting to know everyone these last few months, and I want to thank you all for everything.

1 comment:

  1. It's always great to work in a job that is also your passion. It makes going to work a pleasure rather than a requirement. Hope you find the career and jobs that allow you to combine your work and passion in one package. Only problem with that is that it can be a 24/7 journey! Wishing you great luck and enjoyment in your career.

    ReplyDelete