Monday, February 3, 2014

Changing Tack: Research Updates pre-CSW

Hi all,

I just wanted to give you all a quick update on the status of my research in lieu of several upcoming deadlines and, of course, the main event itself in March.

After careful consideration and much thought, I have shifted years a bit. My work will still be focusing on the Post-2015 agenda--the topic I consider to be most relevant at CSW. However, I will now be focusing on the link between women's empowerment and gender-based violence (GBV), using a local organization as a call to action for the creation of a standalone gender goal in the Post-2015 agenda.

This new focus will allow me to tie together the various threads essential for a deeper understanding of GBV, while analyzing the legacy of the Millennium Development Goals. Further, I have found some interesting (... and perhaps unsurprising) links between the determinants of gender-based violence and women's empowerment, making clear a widely held belief of mine that women are less susceptible to GBV in spaces where they are empowered.

This research, while representing a decided change of tack, is interesting and crucial. Life is a series of compromises and every learning experience is valuable.

Thank you--

Max

No comments:

Post a Comment