Sunday, January 26, 2014

It's All Becoming Real

Hey there,

Wow, this week has been a hectic one!

The student organization that I am a co-chair for, SURJ, finally held its conference. It was this past Saturday the 25th, and we finally got to see the results of all our hard work. We had been planning the conference since June! Overall, the conference went really well, and it was great to hear that attendees found out about campus and community organizations that they want to become a part of. I was especially excited to meet Monica Simpson, the executive director of SisterSong. SisterSong is a nonprofit organization with the mission "to amplify and strengthen the collective voices of Indigenous women and women of color to ensure reproductive justice through securing human rights." Monica Simpson was the keynote speaker for the conference and she talked all about reproductive justice, which is a term I mention in my fellowship paper.

In addition to seeing the results from months and months of conference planning, I am also seeing the results of my research for the fellowship! We are wrapping up the rough drafts of our papers, and I am so excited to see all my hard work coming together. The trip to the UN is becoming more and more real to me, and I cannot wait to present all my research!

If you are interested in hearing all the fellows research, I recommend you come to WomenNC's event on February 20th.

Hope to see you there!
Isabella





 

No comments:

Post a Comment