Sunday, January 19, 2014

Updates from Noreen

Hello everybody,
I hope all of you are having a wonderful long weekend. I know this is my first blog post, but never fear, once I start blogging, it’s pretty hard for me to stop. There is so much I need to update everybody about!
As many of you know, I have changed my Topic from “The Role of Men and Boys in Women’s Education” to “The Role of Men and Boys in the Elimination of Violence against Women.” Some of you might ask why I changed my mind; the answer is that, simply put, I couldn’t find the right local organization for what I wanted. This was sort of a blessing in disguise though. I realized that there would still be a huge education aspect in my research with regards to this topic anyway, and it’s been easier to find information for my paper with this new topic, so I have lots of material to work with.
Also, I’ve found a great way to relate this topic to me personally. I am going to talk about how in my own country, Egypt, the amount of violence against women has increased so much since the Arab Spring. I've been doing a bunch of research on it, and I think it would be pretty good way to tie it to myself. Did you all know that on 3 July 2013, it was reported that about 91 women were raped and sexually abused in Tahrir Square in 4 days, and by some estimates, the figure was about 169. These are only the reported figures, so there’s no way to really know the real number.
Anyway, don’t be alarmed if I start posting a couple of blog posts in a row. I’ve got to make up for lost time. I will leave with this:
“The ultimate measure of a man(or woman) is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” --- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. day!
Cheers,

Noreen

No comments:

Post a Comment