Sunday, November 2, 2014

Alison's first blog!

Hello WomenNC blog readers! I am so excited to share my journey with WomenNC over the next six months. First, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Alison Domonoske and I’m a senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill majoring in Global Studies with a focus in International Politics and Latin America. I was born in Chapel Hill, but grew up in Harrisonburg, VA. I love to run (I ran my first half-marathon this past April), to hike and bike outdoors and to cook. Last year was kind of a whirlwind for me—I was studying abroad in Ecuador in the fall and interning at the US Embassy in Sri Lanka in the spring. I’m so glad to be back in the Triangle this year, and especially to dive into my WomenNC research.

I hope to research women’s role in labor in North Carolina. I plan look into agricultural, domestic, and service work, which are three main areas of women’s work throughout the world. This semester at UNC, I’m taking a research seminar in American Labor History and I would like to learn more about this in the present day. I would also relate this to the recent movement to raise the minimum wage throughout the United States. A living wage, benefits and work in general are important for all. I hope my project can show the challenges that face working women, the importance of workers’ rights in North Carolina, and how this relates to women’s human rights around the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment