Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Importance of Transparency

Throughout the week, I have had a certain feeling that I have not been able to articulate; however, I went to a panel today that articulated my sentiments exactly. The panel was at 2:30 and it was about gender, poverty, and the environment. At first I thought the panel would be a little bit dry, but one of the panelists, Marta, was amazing! She came from El Salvador and was extremely animated and passionate about social justice. The feeling I have had during CSW that Marta articulated perfectly was the UN's need for transparency. Marta discussed how it is now almost 2015, and we still have SO much to fix. She said the government needs to put action into its words.

I have attended a few sessions at the UN, and at every single session I have felt that nations, including the US, have not truly addressed issues. There is so much talk, but it seems like so little action. I have been very happy that NGOs recognize this lack of transparency within the UN. I hope that this issue continues to be addressed.  

1 comment:

  1. A thread running through all of your posts today is the frustration of lots of talk and NOT lots of consistent, effective action, or "all blow and no show"! Seems to me that puts an exclamation point on the need for young people, like you Fellows, to understand the issues, and continue the work! We're in good hands...yours!

    ReplyDelete