Thursday, March 17, 2016

Journal 5: Passion and Advocacy

Journal Five - CSW

We started off day five at a panel at the U.S. Mission on girl’s role in sustainable development.  I felt like a proud mom as I approached the room and saw my fellow fellow Maddy sitting on the panel.  I immediately rushed up to get a photo (just like an embarrassing mother would do), so I could tweet it out to the world.  The panel featured young women from around the world, from ages 16-25. I was honestly amazed by the sheer passion that radiated from each young woman on that panel.  To see girls, as young as 16, advocating for women’s right and preaching about justice for women at all ages gave me so much hope in my generation.  This is the generation I’m apart of!! These women and I are the future, and that puts a huge smile on my face.  

I then attended a panel on human trafficking, which revealed to me the realities of this massive issue.  Everyday we consume and use products produced by slaves.  Every single day. This is a reality I was completely unaware of, and I know I’m not the only one.  This is part of the issue.  Over 20 million people are slaves, and child trafficking is the 2nd largest enterprise in the world.  The panel emphasized that while trafficking is not a gendered issue, 80% of people trafficked are women -- 50% are minors.  The sad truth is vulnerable children are more likely to be victims of trafficking.  To think that I was completely oblivious to an issue that is affecting so many women and children around the world, almost makes me feel guilty, but now I know I can be an agent of change.  I’m aware now, and that’s all that matters.

Being at CSW has been so eye-opening.  I know I keep saying this, but to hear from such different and diverse perspectives makes me so happy! I live off of this! I’m a huge supporter and advocate for all women, and I know I’m not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment