Thursday, March 14, 2019

Day 4: Women and Girls of African Decent



ASHAY! ASHAY! AHSAY! 

The meaning of 'Ashay' is Swahili for "Be with us".

Today I have been saturated by the love of Women and Girls of African decent. My Bennett Sisters and I were invited by the Honorable Jackie Weatherspoon to be apart of a discussion that directly focused on us. It was a safe place, and the only event I could relate to on a level of connecting spiritually with all that were in the room. This was also the first event I had been to that was only for women and girls of color and/African decent since my arrival to the UN on Saturday. This event was held in the United Nations Church Building Chapel and the Chaplin of this space is  the First African-American Woman Chaplin. 


During the event we shared encouraging words that we instill in ourselves daily or that we will never forget. The quote I shared was "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going". This means that when life throws all of it's fast balls we hit them all. When I as a African American woman find myself in a discouraging situation, my posture is still to stand tall. Regardless of the external circumstances, I will stand remain consistently the same. I had the pleasure of sharing my story with all who were in the room alongside my Bennett Sister, Patience. We were asked to speak about what it means to be a woman of African decent at our age. I am 19 years old, and the first thing that came to mind was my education. As a current sophomore in college attending an all women's institution that has been a consistent battle to keep its door open, I challenge the policies on Social Protection systems as it pertains to education in raising awareness on what education means for not just women and girls of African decent but all women and girls! 


"When you educate a man, you educate a individual, but when you educate a girl, you educate a nation" 



Lastly, I had the chance to meet with Jachelle Walker, Special Assistant to the Senator in Harlem, New York. She is also the granddaughter of Civil Rights activist, Wyatt T. Walker! We exchanged business cards and I look forward to networking more with her in the future. 



Best, Zybrea M. Knight

P.S - My shirt says 'Michelle Obama Taught Me' 

No comments:

Post a Comment